I must admit taking great pleasure in magnums, both purchasing and drinking, and was asked recently why. Interesting question. Here are my top 10 reasons;
- Opening a magnum of wine illustrates commitment, this is not just a quick glass or two with your significant other, we are settling in.
- A magnum is like a party in a bottle, it illustrates the intentions of the opener very clearly.
- Great for dinner parties because it gives everyone a good crack at the wine, rather than getting a solitary glass.
- Because of the larger sized bottle and the resulting increased wine volume, temperature swings are smaller (more regulated) and thus the wine is more likely to have survived its years of cellaring, whether good or bad.
- Often good value on the secondary market because people overlook them for one reason or another.
- They fit in my wine fridge.
- They come in very cool boxes that you can collect.
- At a BYO restaurant if corkage is per bottle you get 2 for 1.
- More is better.
- They look cool.
Happy for any further pro-magnum thoughts.