When it comes to being a Wine Wanker there’s no one else more qualified than our new member Drew. Neal and I have known Drew for well on a decade and Drew has been good friends with Neal’s wife for a lot longer than that. He has told me that his fondest memory of Neal was at a wedding when Neal got a little tipsy and thought it was a good idea to hug an oversized egg shaped lamp! From that moment he knew they were going to be good drinking buddies. He says he draws the line at hugging lamps, but that’s nothing compared to some of the stuff Drew hugs!.
So we’ve seen Drew’s antics with wine, and he’s seen ours, and we know that he’ll naturally become part of the shenanigans and add his own flavour and dimension to everything that is The Wine Wankers. The most important thing about Drew is that he’s a true wine lover and a fun wine drinker, and he’s able to tell a good wine yarn. That’s all we need to know to determine that he’s perfect for this little wine gang. But Drew is a little more wine industry than we are, just a tad, as you can see –
- He was a sommelier for quite a while, but he got sore feet.
- He is university educated in wine, from a uni quite well known in Australia, Adelaide University – Roseworthy, but somehow landed in PR instead (like I said, he’s good at spinning a yarn)
- He’s been wine writing for about 20 years now and has written for many mainstream publications here in Aus so he may actually be good at this caper, although we hope we don’t read anything like this from Drew “I only drink bio-organic, sustainable wines that were harvested during the full moon by orphans using recyclable materials that was then hand poured into eco-friendly bottles and blessed by Captain Planet. You can REALLY taste the difference.” Laudable… but…
- He says he has travelled to the world’s most famous wine regions, Bordeaux, Champagne, Burgundy, Chablis, Beaujolais, Tuscany, Piedmont, Umbria, Oporto, Napa, Sonoma, Penedes, Gisborne, Hawkes Bay, Marlborough and of course every major (and minor) wine region in Australia… Tosser! (I’m just jealous)
- His wine passion is all about finding good value for money wines and communicating about these without any serious wank. After reading the previous points I’ve just written about Drew he’s got some work to do! 😉
And most importantly, he’s a good bloke and it’s an honour to have him aboard! Welcome Drew and we look forward to reading your stories…